An Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) is an approach designed to improve equality analysis, practice and outcomes. It helps determine and understand how what we do may affect people differently.
The most important outcome of this process is ensuring that groups and individuals who face disadvantage and underrepresentation are visible in priority research settings.
ARC EM is leading the way in making research culture and practice more inclusive by proactively taking steps to advance equality of opportunities, eliminate discrimination and engage people with protected characteristics in the development, implementation and dissemination of health research.
This toolkit consists of comprehensive training, a directory of useful resources, as well as ongoing advice and guidance, and covers the following sections:
- Introduction: The toolkit
- How to use the toolkit
- What is an Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA)?
- Why do an EqIA?
- To what do we apply an EqIA?
- To whom does an EqIA apply?
- What exactly are we assessing in an EqIA?
- What do we need to find out in an EqIA?
- EqIA action plan
- What material should be included in an EqIA package?
- What sources of information should be consulted when doing an EqIA?
- Things to look out for